literaryetc

Jerri Hines
The Sweetest Revenge
Dawn Halliday

Kissing My Old Life Au Revoir

Kissing My Old Life Au Revoir - Eliza Watson Eliza Waston’s Kissing My Old Life Au Revior was a delightful surprise! When event planner extraordinaire Samantha Hunter arrives in Paris, it’s for work, but decides to visit her sister Libby. Libby surprises Samantha by announcing her 8 month pregnancy and Samantha begins to make plans to take Libby back home. Samantha is also dealing with work issues and worries about her future promotion. Add a sexy French puppeteer and everything Samantha knows is thrown out the window. When Libby disappears shortly after giving birth Samantha is on the trail to find her. What she finds will make her question everything she’s worked for and she has to struggle with putting the past to rest.The writing is engaging and it’s a fast paced read. Some things get resolved a bit too quickly and the whole mystery surrounding Libby’s disappearance drags for it; however, things do pick up and resolution is satisfying. I’m a bit uncomfortable with Libby’s past association with Luc, which I won’t go into detail because I don’t want to spoil things. It’s a personal preference and maybe because I have a younger sister and we have different tastes that the thought of her being attracted to someone I was close to just creeps me out. Like I said, it’s more of a personal preference than anything.I believe all readers will able to associate with Samantha. How many of us have worked hard to get that promotion we’ve been promised and then we get passed over? In the end, Kissing My Old Life Au Revoir is about self discovery for both Samantha and Libby. Samantha needed to learn to let go and Libby needed to grow up. I see Luc as the voice of reason for both women and even though he has his own demons to address all three characters support each other and need one another. It was a treat to see a group of characters grow into their roles throughout a novel and be comfortable with their future and past mistakes.What I loved about Kissing My Old Life Au Revoir? No extra forces at hand trying to come between two characters. I worried for a bit especially since we have Evan, Samantha’s ex-boyfriend, wanting to change Samantha’s viewpoint about marriage and the job promotion. Evan proved to be more background noise than I anticipated. What was worrisome is that I liked him. I actually liked him more than Luc despite all he does and it’s nice to know he gets redeemed at the end even if it’s not the one I wanted. Luc, on the other hand, he remains out of reach and a mystery. I like to think it is because this wasn’t his journey, but rather Samantha’s and that in the end he’ll find his footing.If you’re looking for a light, fun romance then Eliza Watson’s Kissing My Old Life Au Revoir is the book for you! Just be aware: you’ll craving baguettes and brie as you read.This review is posted at Literary, etc.