literaryetc

The Sweetest Revenge
Dawn Halliday

Review: Angela Carlie's Jenny's Blue Velvet

Jenny's Blue Velvet - A.C. Davis

Carlie’s Jenny’s Blue Velvet is a story within a story and by that I mean, we get Jenny’s story and a glimpse into the book she’s writing. Jenny is an author and dreams of publishing her book and it becoming a bestseller in order for her husband, Jason, to quit his job and spend more time with her and the girls. I really enjoyed Carlie’s writing and she knows how to throw a curve ball I didn’t see coming. The alternate text from the story she was writing was engaging and at times, it was a distraction because I wasn’t sure what to make of it; sometimes I just wasn’t interested in reading what she was writing, but it is all related to Jenny’s life.

Character development is a bit weak, but since it’s told via Jenny’s perspective, all we know is what she sees. In the end, it is her story and oh boy, is it a story! I liked Jason and he is a caring husband and I kept wondering why he kept asking her if she took her vitamin. I won’t go into details because I don’t want to spoil the plot, but it all comes together in the end. Candy is the woman Jenny becomes friends with and she’s a bit odd, but accepts Jenny for who she is and Jenny is happy to have a friend. We’re introduced to several secondary characters including Jenny’s daughters and Jason’s friend Adam. Everyone plays an important role including the characters in Jenny’s novel.

I mentioned how Jenny’s book is related to her life and I’m not going to go into details because I really would spoil things and don’t want to do that. I do want to high-five Carlie for the subtle clues that are sprinkled throughout. When I got the end, I was shocked, but then I went back to reread and I could see areas that left me questioning things and while these little hints make sense, at the time they didn’t. Brava, Ms. Carlie for the dark twisted ending! I only hope this isn’t the end of Jenny.

If you have a few hours to spare and are looking for something intriguing to read, I recommend Angela Carlie’s Jenny’s Blue Velvet.

Source: http://literaryetc.com/2013/09/09/blog-tour-review-angela-carlies-jennys-blue-velvet