literaryetc

Patriot Secrets
Jerri Hines
The Sweetest Revenge
Dawn Halliday

Somebody Like You (Maverick Junction)

Somebody Like You - Lynnette Austin Annelise Montjoy leads a life of privilege and one we can only dream of. As an heiress she knows firsthand that money can buy anything except life. She travels to Maverick Junction against the wishes of her family because she believes the answer to her family’s prayer can be located there. There’s one slight problem, she meets Cash Hardeman and he’s different from the men she’s use to. He’s hardworking and not to mention good looking. The two are attracted to each other, but both come from different backgrounds. Even though they come from different worlds, both harbor a secret. Annelise’s is her true identity and Cash’s involves a stipulation in his grandfather’s will that he must meet. Will they be able to set aside their differences and give love a chance or will their secrets divide them?I really enjoyed Lynnette Austin’s Somebody Like You. In terms of characterization, let’s just say I was smitten with Cash the moment he appeared. As for Annelise, it took me a bit to warm up to her. There’s nothing wrong with her except she’s too naïve. I imagine an heiress still being able to operate a microwave or at least being able to read the directions on the box. Also there was the issue with money. Annelise probably doesn’t think twice about budgets when she purchases items and that wasn’t the big issue for me regarding it. It really came to down how much physical cash she brought with her. I can’t imagine traveling cross country with that much cash on hand, but then again it plays into her naïveté. I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt. There are several secondary characters you’ll easily love. Dottie, Annelise’s landlady, is one you’ll adore, as well as Cash’s dog. I do have one small complaint and that’s Douglas, Annelise’s parent’s choice for her. He’s involved in something that very much would have ruined Annelise and his punishment is just wrapped up too quickly. I won’t say what the incident is because it would be a spoiler, but I wanted the resolution to be more drawn out.The writing is engaging and she captures small town life in Texas pretty well. I grew up in a small Texas town and while reading Somebody Like You, it brought back memories. In many ways, she made me long for Texas. I think readers regardless of where they are located will be left longing for the place they call home and that’s what Austin brings. The sense of home and where one is suppose to be. For example, the charity scene in Dallas with Annelise and Cash, the differences between their two worlds is evident especially with Annelise being surrounded by bodyguards and the paparazzi. You could feel Cash’s frustration at having to be put on parade and he longs for his ranch. As I stated, Austin’s writing is engaging and witty. I laughed out loud when Cash meets Douglas for the first time and instead of calling him DeWitt, he calls him DeTwitt. Austin also weaves country music into the background and trust me, if you’re familiar with the songs she mentions, you’ll have an earworm stuck in your head.My favorite quotes:“Wish this heat would break. It’s so damned hot, Paco said the hens are laying hard-boiled eggs today.”“Who’s the guy?” the same reported asked. “What ? Do I look a Google search button?”Austin’s Somebody Like You, will have you wishing for your own Cash. I can’t wait to read the rest of the series. I do have to warn you: don’t begin this book late at night or before going to bed. You won’t want to put it down!Review originally posted at Literary, etc.