literaryetc

Patriot Secrets
Jerri Hines
The Sweetest Revenge
Dawn Halliday

The One Girl (The One Series, #2)

The One Girl (The One Series, #2) - Laurel Ulen Curtis Laurel Ulen Curtis’s The One Girl picks up right where we left off in The One Place. This time it’s told in Tucker’s point of view and what a breath of fresh air! Kudos to Curtis for giving us a male perspective in a second book instead of having to wait for his point of view in a later book like some authors are prone to do (if they decide to so). If you haven’t read The One Place then I highly recommend doing so because you’ll be lost otherwise.Tucker and Natalie have to deal with the fact that Andrew has found Natalie and is back in town. Tucker finally finds out how much of a monster Andrew really is. Natalie has to come to grips with her past catching up and finds out her best friend Jenny is actually Tucker’s sister. Natalie mentions to Tucker her suspicion regarding Andrew’s involvement in the accident involving Tucker’s parents. Suddenly secrets are unraveled and threaten their relationship. Will Andrew get a hold of Natalie and take her back to New York or will Natalie have the courage to break free from Andrew?I really enjoyed reading The One Girl from Tucker’s perspective. His love for Natalie really can be seen. In terms of characterization, we don’t get in-depth characters. What you read in The One Place is pretty much the same type of characteristics you read in The One Girl. Although, we do get to see how much guilt Tucker has over Jenny’s disappearance and he’s the first to push Natalie to do the right thing regarding her family. It was nice to read how much he cared and the lengths he went to make things right. We’re also introduced to Natalie’s sister, Kayla. What a hoot she is! You’ll be smirking with her as she refers to Tucker as “hotman” and oh yeah you can just imagine his strut knowing he’s been nicknamed that.The only one complaint I have is, I wish we could have had more of Andrew. We know he’s an abusive asshole from The One Place and we find out exactly what happens to Jenny in The One Girl, but I wanted more of him as a character. I wanted Tucker to confront him and make him pay for his crimes especially for what Andrew ends up doing to Tucker’s parents. We don’t get that and instead of a huge confrontation between Tucker and Andrew, it’s dealt with swiftly by an outsider. I won’t say who the outsider is, but it’s a nice twist I wasn’t expecting and I feel for Natalie having to go through what she did. I can’t even imagine the feelings she had when she realized she was the target for assassination by someone she cared about. I debated with the rating and due to a few hiccups, I decided on a four instead of a five. I really liked The One Girl and even though I still have some unanswered questions, I enjoyed the book. There are some explicit sex scenes and language, but Curtis warns us in the synopsis. Laurel Ulen Curtis is working on a standalone book for Coleman Cade, a friend of Tucker’s we meet briefly in The One Girl. I can’t wait to read his story and I’m looking forward to reading more of her work.Review originally posted at Literary, etc.