literaryetc

Jerri Hines
The Sweetest Revenge
Dawn Halliday

Big Girl Panties: A Novel

Big Girl Panties - Stephanie Evanovich If Stephanie Evanovich’s name sounds familiar it is because she’s the niece of Janet Evanovich. I wanted to love Big Girl Panties based on the synopsis, but it just fell flat.Logan has a habit of calling his female clients swans. Meaning he transforms them from ugly ducklings to beautiful swans and he’s quite confident in his ability. While I respect he’s a personal trainer and one to the rich and famous, he comes off as shallow and immature. Holly, on the other hand, is still grieving for her husband. She admits to self esteem issues and at times while I could relate to her, there were times I couldn’t stand her. Her constant comparison of her life versus her childhood friend’s life was annoying especially for a woman who was happy with her independence. On top of that, she makes the decision to go back to her family, a family that told her she would never amount to anything. Why? The secondary characters are Logan’s friends, Chase and Amanda. I understand why Evanovich introduces them because they serve as the point of contact between Logan and Holly especially when they aren’t together, but the whole spanking fetish they have was just strange. It would have made more sense if Big Girl Panties was more of an erotic novel or your typical contemporary romance, but not for chick-lit. I did like them because they accepted Holly, but overall, their story just felt misplaced. Then we have Holly’s childhood friend Tina. I wish Holly had ended that friendship a long time ago because I don’t see any reason for them to be friends other than Tina being there to remind Holly that she’ll never be as thin as her and hence no happily ever after.I believe the big issue for me is how Evanovich deals with obesity and relationships. Holly isn’t deemed attractive until she loses a significant amount of weight and even then she’s still dressing in her old clothes. Ask anyone who has lost a significant amount, there’s no way she’s going still be wearing the same pants unless she’s wearing them with a belt (and even that’s questionable). Holly undergoes a makeover and then suddenly men are handing out their numbers, but she wants Logan; elusive Logan who only sees her as a friend and client. Throughout the course of the novel, we find out Holly’s first husband, Bruce had been her one and only. Meaning Holly settled despite not loving Bruce because no one would want her. Even when Logan begins to date her he keeps his distance and takes her only to places where Chase and Amanda will be because he’s ashamed of her. So you see, there’s still something wrong with Holly despite losing weight because Logan thinks she’s unworthy and even Tina reminds Holly of this. I wish Evanovich had let Holly date around after her weight loss and let Logan wallow in self pity because he lost her to some super hot baseball player on Chase’s team. Now that would have been an amazing read.Logan does redeem himself, but a little too late and even then I don’t see him changing. I appreciate that Evanovich gave us an overweight protagonist, but the amount of fat shaming (not only by Logan but by those around him) didn’t sit well with me; especially when we’re told Holly lost 40 pounds and suddenly we’re told she has muscle and is lean, but because she still weighs double digits, she’s still considered fat? Furthermore, knowing that Holly hated the term swan, Logan calls her his beautiful swan at the end. So really, had she not lost the weight and undergone a makeover, Holly would still be unattractive. I wish Evanovich had given us a Logan who fell for Holly for her inner beauty rather than her physical. While her message is probably to inspire woman to get healthy, the way she executed it, wasn’t the best way. Stephanie Evanovich’s Big Girl Panties had potential, but quickly fell flat. I had issues with the book, but a lot of readers really seem to like it. If you’re still interested in reading it, my recommendation is to borrow a copy from a friend or the library and spend your money elsewhere.This review is posted at Literary, etc.