literaryetc

The Sweetest Revenge
Dawn Halliday

Review: The Devil of Clan Sinclair

The Devil of Clan Sinclair - Karen Ranney

I’ve always wanted to read Karen Ranney’s books, but I’ve never had the chance. When the opportunity came to participate in the blog tour, I couldn’t say no! Ranney’s The Devil of Clan Sinclair was a delightful read!

I’m a big fan of reunited lovers and Ranney’s The Devil of Clan Sinclair doesn’t disappoint! Writing was engaging and I loved the banter between Macrath and Virginia. I most particularly enjoyed how Ranney introduced us to the couple and especially how their romance developed and how they were torn apart. Character development was strong, but I couldn’t feel much empathy for Virginia especially after she agrees to Enid, her mother-in-law’s plan. I know people do crazy things in desperate times, but I just wanted her to show some backbone. Even Enid isn’t the strong woman she portrays to be especially when Paul, the Earl of Barrett’s former valet comes into play. Paul was a creep of the first order and high-five to Ranney for developing a villain that made me want to hide when he made an appearance. Without a doubt, Macrath steals the show in The Devil of Clan Sinclair! He’s a self made man who is happy living his life until an American girl steals his heart. Even after she broke it he still loved her and believed in her until she betrayed his trust.

What I really enjoyed about The Devil of Clan Sinclair is that for once we have a hero who isn’t hell bent on revenge when the heroine is right in front of him. Macrath could have turned his heart against Virginia, but he couldn’t and I loved that! I loved how quickly the two of them became reacquainted and my heart broke when they were apart. I understand his actions towards the end, which I won’t go into detail for spoilers and I don’t blame him for taking the stance that he does. I just wish Virginia had been more accepting of his reasons and realized she was to blame.

I debated with the rating between a three and four and in the end, I decided on a three because of three things that didn’t sit well me with me. The first is regards to Paul and how quickly he was dealt with in the end. I wanted more conflict especially since he plays a vital role in making Virginia’s life and the rest of the household’s a nightmare. Secondly, we’re left with a few unanswered questions especially how Virginia didn’t know it was Paul and what happens to the Earl’s title when the truth comes out? And does it come it out? Finally, Virginia was friends with Macrath’s sister and I’m surprised how much Macrath was kept in the dark especially with regards to Virginia’s son. People gossip and if an Earl apparent isn’t going to inherit because of a possible child then why wasn’t something relayed to Macrath? I understand he was in Australia, but if he was receiving letters, I’m sure his sister would have said something. Then again, fully knowing their history perhaps she did keep quiet.

Overall, The Devil Clan of Sinclair was an enjoyable read. I’m looking forward to the rest of the series and hopefully some questions will be addressed.

If you’re looking to try a new historical romance author or are in a reading slump, I recommend Karen Ranney’s The Devil of Clan Sinclair.

Source: http://literaryetc.com/2013/08/29/blog-tour-review-karen-ranneys-the-devil-of-clan-sinclair